A clone of The Binding of Isaac with hand-drawn graphics
Available on: Windows, Linux, Osx
Paper Isaac was made for OneGameAMonth.
Paper Isaac is a fan remake of Edmund McMillen’s Binding of Isaac. It is a complete recreation, with everything drawn by hand, and everything programmed from scratch. The soundtrack is made of fan covers of Danny Baranowsky’s original soundtrack.
If you have questions, or just want to send a general cheer my way, you can contact me on ask.fm
Minimum required configuration:
- Windows XP SP3 or greater
- OSX 10.6.x or greater
- Most Linux distributions should work (Ubuntu 12.04 is supported)
- An OpenGL 2.1 capable graphics card
If you have trouble launching the game, please file an issue on GitHub.
- 0.4 was released on January 6, 2014 - as usual, more music tracks, better graphics, some bugfixes, more room layouts, F11 for fullscreen, better compatibility for older computers, and lots of other things I forgot.
- 0.3 was released on March 27, 2013 - it includes sound effects, more tracks, and our first boss, the duke of flies.
I’m updating this playlist with updates on the state of the game. To stay up-to-date, subscribe to my channel on YouTube.
We use Google Docs to track the implementation of various things in the games.
The Paper Isaac soundtrack is composed of fan covers of the original Binding of Isaac game. All tracks were originally composed by Danny Baranowsky, and were covered by 10 different artists!
Why are you doing this?
I’m doing it as part of the OneGameAMonth permanent game jam. Also because I’m a huge Binding of Isaac fan, and also as a gift from the BoI community to Edmund, who thought nobody would like this particular game!
Is this legal?
I asked Edmund, who seems to be cool with it. Nothing has been ripped out of the original game, every single element is hand drawn, every song from the soundtrack is recorded from scratch, every enemy is programmed ex nihilo.
Is it free?
Of course! You’re encouraged to go buy the original game, and Rebirth whenever it comes out.